Can I connect a soundbar to my projector? Yes, you can connect the soundbar and the projector together. And the best way will be to connect the projector and soundbar with the HDMI cable. If your projector has an HDMI eARC/ARC port. For the best audio output.
If you do not have an HDMI eARC/ARC port available in the projector. Then you do not need to worry. Still, you will be able to connect the soundbar to the projector. Wired and Wireless easy are available.
But the audio output quality through the soundbar will not be that good. Like the HDMI.
Should you try to connect your projector with a soundbar?
A projector inbuilt speakers are not that good. And the soundbar is pretty handy. But soundbar are not to be built for the projector.
That’s why you may have some issue. To get the best sound output from the soundbar. But don’t worry about that.
Because in this article. I have talk about the every possible way. To connect your soundbar and projector.
Things you should know.
An important setting you have to do. You have to choose the audio output settings on the projector (If the audio source is projector).
And audio input settings on the soundbar. And decide the cable through audio is coming to HDMI, AUX and SPDIF.
You have to do this process with your all cable connection. To hear sound from the soundbar.
There is special instruction for the HDMI ARC. If you are going to use the HDMI ARC you have to enable the CEC on your projector. And CEC stands for Consumer Electronics Control.
If you want to learn more about the standard soundbar troubleshoot. Then follow this New York Times article.
How to connect your soundbar to the projector?
So here we are at the main part of the article. Where I will tell you how you can connect your soundbar with the projector. With different wired and wireless ways.
It will be a step by step tutorial. So you don’t need to worry. There will be a complete connection between both devices. So let’s start.
HDMI ARC (Audio Return Channel) is the best way to connect your both devices. Because it gives you a richer sound quality than any other cable connection. So if you have the option available to connect with the HDMI ARC.
I will suggest you go with the HDMI ARC. And yes. When you connect with the HDMI ARC. Make sure you are using the HIGH-speed HDMI cable (Amazon Link) so you can get most of the best things from the HDMI ARC.
So how you will connect the projector with the soundbar. With the HELP of an HDMI ARC port.
- Off your both devices.
- Take the HDMI cable.
- And find the specific HDMI port. Where HDMI eARC/ARC will be printed near the HDMI port. Find this type of port in your both soundbar and projector.
- When you find them, connect one end of the HDMI cable with the HDMI ARC port of the projector.
- And the last end of the HDMI cable goes into the HDMI ARC port of the soundbar.
- And turn on both of your devices. Make the configuration of audio output and input. On both devices. If needed.
Before you start to connect, listen to this last thing. If your soundbar is 7.1 channel. Then HDMI ARC will downgrade it to 5.1.
If your soundbar is already 5.1, then ok. No need to worry about the downgrading in the sound.
What if my projector doesn’t have HDMI ARC port?
If you have already the projector. Then you can buy the HDMI adapter. Which have HDMI arc audio output port available.
Basically what you have to do?
Connect your video or audio source with the HDMI Adapter. Then there will be two output HDMI output normal and HDMI arc.
Now normal HDMI output port will connect with the projector. And HDMI arc port will connect with the soundbar.
There is many adapter available in the market for this. I will suggest you to buy 4K Arcana 18GBPS. Which give you the best audio quality like Dolby atmos.
Or you can buy another low end HDMI adapter 4K HDMI Matrix Switch 4 X 2.
If you are going to buy the new projector. I will suggest you to buy following projector with HDMI arc output port.
Optical Cable or SPDIF Or Toslink
Another second option is to get the richer sound on your soundbar. So let’s see how you can connect your projector and soundbar step by step. With the Toslink cable.
- Turn off both devices.
- Take the Optical or SPDIF or Toslink cable.
- And head towards and find the Toslink/SPDIF port in your projector as well in the soundbar. When you find the Toslink/SPDIF port. Move for the next step.
- Plug your SPDIF cable with both devices. One end of the SPDIF/Toslink cable will go in the SPDIF port of the projector. And the other will go into the SPDIF port of the soundbar.
- Now it’s time to turn on both of your devices. And make output and input audio configuration. If needed.
So that’s how you will connect the audio with the projector. By using the Optical Cable or SPDIF Or Toslink. But here some people have a dilemma. Related to the no of cable.
When they connect the projector and soundbar with a different cable. Example: one optical cable and another HDMI cable (Soundbar>Optical Cable>Receiver>HDMI>Projector). By using the av receiver.
Do you need a different cable while connecting the soundbar, receiver and projector?
Here the answer will be you will need only an Optical cable Or HDMI cable. To connect both audio and video devices.
Some people have this kind of question in their minds. When they connect the soundbar, projector and av receiver together. I hope they got their answer.
This is the most common cable we are going to use. When you are connecting the soundbar and projector. Because most of you guys are aware of headphones and earphones. Once used to connect with their smartphones.
You will not get good sound quality with this cable. Like optical and HDMI ARC cable.
So let’s see how you can connect with this cable.
- Turn off your both devices.
- And find the aux port in your both devices. And I know it will not be a tough job to find the aux port in both devices. Because we all are familiar with this port.
- And when you get the aux port. Take the aux cable and connect the one end of the aux cable to the projector.
- The last end of the aux cable will be connected with the aux port of the soundbar.
- Now turn on both of your devices. And make the configuration of audio input and output. If it’s applicable.
And there you have source device audio on the soundbar.
Bluetooth Or Wi-fi
These are the only wireless options available. We are going to connect the soundbar and projector. Bluetooth or Wifi depends upon your projector type. Which type of projector are you using? So let’s see how to connect:-
- First, turn on your projector. If it’s not.
- And make your soundbar in the pairing mode.
- Now in your projector. Go to your projector Bluetooth or wifi settings. And on your Bluetooth or wifi setting. Find your soundbar for the wireless connection.
- When you get your soundbar. Click on that option.
And here you have connected your projector wirelessly with the soundbar. In a few simple steps.
But there are some cons of the wireless connection with the soundbar. When you connect your projector with the soundbar. You may get the sync issue.
In your audio and video. This is the most common issue. When you are playing the games. It will not affect those people that much. Those are watching movies and listening to music?
But you won’t get rich audio like. HDMI ARC and Optical cable. I hope you got an answer for How do I connect my Bluetooth soundbar to my projector?
Aux to RCA
Ok, this is the last option available. If you don’t have other options available or you don’t like others. For this, you will need the RCA cable.
Which one end is AUX and the other is RCA. It will be the analogue audio connection. The connection process will be like this.
- Turn off your both devices.
- At the soundbar, you have to find the aux cable port. While in the projector you have to find the RCA port. Which will be in white and red color.
- When you get both ports. On your projector and soundbar. You have to take your aux to RCA cable.
- And connect the aux cable in the soundbar. And the RCA side of the cable will go in the projector.
This will be perfect for the 2.1 channel soundbar. And also if your soundbar is 3.1 channel. It will degrade your 3.1 to 2.1 channel.
So it will be better if you use the low-end soundbar (2.1 channel) with the aux to RCA connection. If you need more specialized instruction. Then you can check out these videos.
What are the best soundbar for the projector?
After knowing how to connect. Some of you people might be wondering. Which are the best soundbars for the projector indoor and outdoor. So here you have a lot of options to choose from.
- Sonos Arc – The Premium Smart Sound bar
- Samsung HW-N850
- New Bose Smart Sound bar 900
- Nakamichi Shockwafe Pro 7.1.4
- SAMSUNG 3.1.2ch Q700A
- Klipsch Cinema 600 Sound Bar
- Bose Smart Sound bar 300
- JBL Bar 2.1 – Channel Sound bar
- VIZIO Sound Bar – SB2920-C6
- SAMSUNG 5.0ch S60A Sound bar
- Sony HT-S350 Sound bar
- LG SL5Y 2.1 Sound bar
- Polk Audio Signa S2 Sound bar
- PHEANOO – Sound bar – D2
Read Full review of these soundbar here soundbar for projector.
How to connect your gaming console + soundbar + projector?
If you have a gaming console like PlayStation and XBOX. Then how you will connect with the soundbar, gaming console as well projector. Here you have to invest in the 1×2 HDMI splitter (Amazon Link). Let’s see what will be the process.
- Turn off all your devices.
- First, we connect the gaming console with the HDMI splitter. One HDMI cord from the gaming console to the HDMI splitter input port.
- Now there you have two output options that will be available in the 1×2 HDMI splitter.
- One output you have to connect with the projector and splitter with HDMI cable.
- And another you have to connect with the soundbar and splitter with HDMI cable.
- Make sure. At last, you have done the audio input configuration at your soundbar to hear the sound.
What would be a good HDMI cable to connect?
It depends. How much HDMI cable you are going to use to connect your projector and soundbar. For longer than 20 feet you have to go with the fiber optics HDMI cable (Amazon Link).
And for the short distance, you should buy the certified premium HDMI cable (Amazon Link). So all these types of HDMI cables. I will suggest the long and short distances. You should go with me.
Where to place the soundbar?
To get the best sound from your soundbar. You have to place the projector in the right place. It’s also very important when you have a Dolby Atmos soundbar.
So what will be the right position to put the soundbar:
You should put your projector at the centre and below your projector screen. And if your projector screen is transparent. You can put your soundbar behind the projector screen. It will also be a good option.
So these are the two ideal places where you can put your soundbar. To get the best audio from your soundbar.
What to do when the projector is away or ceiling mount?
There are two options you have. You can connect your projector and soundbar with the wifi or Bluetooth. Or you have to use the long cable for the connection.
What if I want to mount the soundbar above the projector screen?
First of all, I don’t support the soundbar mounting above the projector screen. If you have not purchased the soundbar and are searching for the soundbar. I will suggest you go with the speakers.
If you already have a soundbar. Then let’s see what are those things you should know. You have to forget about the Dolby sound effect.
Because all the soundbar has to be put in normally over the table. To get the Dolby atmos effect from the soundbar.
In this situation. You should only care about the good sound quality. Because mounting the soundbar bar. Over the projector screen will alter the Dolby Atmos effect.
So now how you connect your video and audio device. The first option will be to use the receiver. Your HDMI cable will go from the projector to the receiver.
And on the receiver, you will get the various ports to connect your soundbar. By using the receiver you will centralize all your devices.
Or if your soundbar has two HDMI ports input and output. Then the source device will go into the input port. And with the output port, you have to connect to the projector.
Or you can connect your source device with the projector. And then connect with the soundbar/speakers from the projector available port.
How to connect projector and soundbar to Nvidia shield TV?
For this type of connection, you will need to follow two steps.
- First in the HDMI input port of the soundbar. You have to plug the shield TV.
- Then use the HDMI output port of the soundbar. To connect with the projector.
And your setup is done. For discussion, you can join this conversion.
Ideally, people don’t prefer to use the soundbar with the projector. Because there is a lot of hassle to connect the soundbar with the projector.
And still, there is no surety to get the richer sound from the soundbar. So if you are reading this article. You may have the soundbar. Or you are going to buy the soundbar.
I will suggest you go with the speakers. If you haven’t bought the soundbar.
If you have already bought the soundbar or you have already the soundbar. Then you can use those five methods to connect the projector and soundbar. Which I mention in this article.
See you next time…