Page Contents Shortcut
- 1 Projector screen vs Wall: What is the difference & comparison?
- 2 Do You Need a Projector Screen In Your Home Theater or not?
- 3 Is a projector screen worth it?
- 4 Is a projector screen better than a wall?
- 5 What color wall is best for a projector?
- 6 Tell me the best color to paint a wall for a projector?
- 7 How to make your wall a projector screen?
- 8 Tell me the best material for making a projector screen?
- 9 Will a projector work on a colored wall?
- 10 Conclusion: Projector screen vs Wall.
- 11 Refrence
Projection surface is a very important thing to be noticed. When you are doing the projection. There are two objects that are mostly considered as projection surfaces. Professional projector screen and texture-free home wall.
But there is a big debate. Which is good or perfect for the projection? Projector screen vs wall. To get the best projection quality. Which one we can appreciate.
No doubt if you are doing the projection on the bare white wall. And another hand doing the projection on the professional projector screen. Then you will see the difference in the projection quality on both surfaces. Definitely projector screen will have the best image quality. In the comparison of the bare white wall.
But there is also another scenario. The projected wall can be well treated. And the projector screen can be cheap. Or compromise quality by the manufacturer.
To get into the details. Let’s get into the main discussion of our article. And discover more about the projector screen vs wall.
Projector screen vs Wall: What is the difference & comparison?
Let’s talk in-depth about the projector screen vs wall. And try to understand about the projector and wall as a projector screen. What they give us during the projection. In different situations.
When you project the image on the wall and projector screen (simultaneously). You will see not that much difference between the wall and projector screen. If you are away from the wall and screen. And if your wall is white and texture free as well very smooth.
But when you go near the wall and good quality projector screen. For sure on the wall from the near distance, you will see some distortion on the wall projection. Which is not noticeable from a distance. But remember the wall. Do not use paint or be treated by the professional projector screen paint. Wall is just plastered or wall putty used (but it is smooth). Once you get into the movie. And you will notice that much difference.
But if you’re using the projector screen. Which is good quality. While another hand wall is bare but there is a textured wall and not a well-treated wall. You will definitely see the difference between the good projector screen. No matter where you are setting. Wall will be exposed. During the projection.
If you have both things are good. Good thousand dollar projector screen. And well-treated wall as well applied professional projector screen paint. Then it will be hard to say. Which is good at contrast ratio and image quality. But there is one thing a well-treated wall can’t do.
Reflecting the projected light and ambient light rejection. At a good angle. Manufactured projector screens are slightly better than the well-treated wall. As well it depends. How you have done the work of applying projector screen paint on the wall.
I have done this in the room. Where is available any kind of ambient light.
Do You Need a Projector Screen In Your Home Theater or not?
Do you need a projection screen for the projection at home or not? Let’s decode this by seeing the pros and cons. Using the projector screen and bare wall as a projection surface.
Pros and Cons: Using a projector screen.
- You will get a smooth projection surface. And for that, you don’t need to work. Just spend a hundred dollars on the screen.
- And the projector has an accurate reflecting angle towards the audience. So the projection can be viewable. As it should be.
- Manufactured projector screen. Have the ability to reject the ambient light with accuractly. Which allows you to use the projector in the presence of ambient light.
- And the manufacturer projector screens. Are slightly better than the treated wall for the projection.
- If you want to use the wall as a projector screen. Then you can go to the bigger projection surface. Which may be possible or not with a projector screen. If this is possible. You have to pay lots of money. Which not everyone can afford.
- The projector screen can be damaged. When you are shifting the screen from one place to another place. The reason could be you are changing the projection place, home, or room. And something else.
Pros and Cons: Using a bare wall as a projector screen.
- If you want something big for the projection. Manufactured projector screens. Can’t satisfy you. If they can do that you have to spend thousands of dollars. Which is not reasonable for everyone. But with the wall, you can go up to a 240-inch big screen. Which is massive. At an affordable cost.
- If you are the DIY guy then. It will be great to utilize your time. On some hobby work.
- No, need to spend a thousand dollars for a good screen. You just need a few hundred dollars for the good screen paint. Or even less than this.
- You can’t move the wall. Indirectly you can’t move your screen. If you want to change your projection. To enjoy the movie.
- Using the wall as a projector screen. Your wall may not be able to reject the ambient light. And reflect the projected light at a good angle towards the audience.
- And also wall with the texture. Will degrade your image qulaity.
Is a projector screen worth it?
Yes, if you are using the bare wall for the projection at present time. Then updating from the wall to projection. It will definitely be worth it. On the manufactured projector screen. You will get a better projection experience.
Is a projector screen better than a wall?
Yes, a projector screen is better than a wall. In every aspect. Unless your wall is well treated. Wall gives pencil neck competition in the terms of contrast ratio and image quality. Except in the right direction, light reflection.
What color wall is best for a projector?
There are three primary screen colors white, grey and black. People are confused between these three colors. There are lots of factors. In which all colors perform differently according to the situation.
If you are one of those people. Who is confused between these colors? I will suggest you read these two articles. Where I have covered everything in detail. So you guys can understand easily. And make decisions between these primary colors. Those two articles are:-
- Which is better for the projection black projector screen vs white?
- Grey vs White projector screen: Which is best for projection?
Tell me the best color to paint a wall for a projector?
There are various types of color paint available for the wall. By various companies. It will be a headache to choose between them. That’s why I have listed some great colors to paint the wall. Choose according to your needs. You can check out the description on Amazon.
Product Image & Name
S1 Ultimate Contrast - Gallon
Gain: 2.0 Gain
Image size: 240"
Aspect ratio: 4:3, 16:9, 16:10, 1.78:1, 1.85:1 and 2.35:1.
Resolution support: 4k HD Color: Grey silverish
Paint On Screen - G003d4K
Color: Light Grey Silver 3D Capable: Active Shutter
Gain: 2.4 Gain
Image size: 240"
Aspect ratio: TV to HDTV, DVD to Cinema Wide.
Resolution support: HD 1080p, 4K Ready
Projector Screen Paint - High Definition | 4K - Ultra White - Gallon
Color: Ultra White
Image qulaity ratings: 5.0
Adhesion ratings: 4.7
Value for money ratings: 4.5
Resolution support: 4K
Ultra HD Premium Screen Paint (Gallon)
Unit Count: 128 Fl Oz
Item Dimensions: 4 x 4 x 6 inches
Wrinkel free rating: 4.4
Paint type: Acrylic latex
Resolution support: 4K & HD Color: White
Pro Screen - LTP01
Color: Neutral Gray
1 Quart: 8ftx10ft
Indoor/Outdoor: Indoor movie theater.
Ambient light reducing: Yes
Resolution support: 1080p, Blu-ray & 3D Compatible
How to make your wall a projector screen?
Let’s learn how you can use your wall as a projector screen:-
- Prepare the wall: If your wall is not prepared for the wall paint. First off, prepare your wall for the wall paint. For that, you have to make your wall texture-free. To texture free your wall use sandpaper. And rub over the wall. To make it smooth. If your wall has cracks. Fill the cracks with the wall putty (and let it dry). Which is made of the finest particle of white cement. Make sure your wall surface is flat from all sides.
- Do projection on the wall: Now do the projection on the wall. And adjust the size of the projection. On the wall. And choose which size of screen you want for the projection.
- Take the measurement: Until you have decided on the projection screen size. Over the wall. Don’t close the projector, keep on the projector. Now you use the straight object like a scale. To draw the line at the edges of the projeted screen. After that use the wide tape around the edges. So you won’t spread the projector screen paint. On the other surfaces. Where you don’t need to paint the wall.
- Prepare the paint: Now the important thing is to prepare the paint. So you can start the paint on the wall. There are different ways to prepare the paint for the wall. I will suggest that you read this avs forum conversions. Where you get a detailed explanation about the projection screen paint formula. And expert advice. Or check out somewhere else. Because it’s important. To use the paint in the right ratio. Do well research for the “projector screen paint formula”.
- Start main stuff and End: Until you have prepared the wall. Outline the area and use the tape around that outline. And your color is also prepared. Now start painting your wall. But remember you are using a good quality roller. Which don’t lose the fiber. Also, take care. When spreading the color over the wall using roller. Make sure you are using the roller from one direction. Back and forth. Not a zig-zack. Once you have done the one coat let it dry (repeat this process until you have done three coats). And your wall projector screen is ready to rock.
Tell me the best material for making a projector screen?
Carl’s Blackout Cloth is cheap and the best material for making a projector screen. It’s very famous among home theater enthusiasts.
It’s best because its back is black. It won’t pass the light through it. It ensures the maximum reflection of light towards the audience.
For this, you have to create the word frame. Then you have to fix the frame. To give the structure. How you will make a wood frame. For that check out the below video.
Other than this. There are more than ten projector screen materials available. Like Spandex, Tarp/PVC/Vinyl, DIY Paint Wall, Inflatable, Bed Sheet, Trapeze, Tyvek, Plastic & Metal, and Glass. For a detailed overview. Check out this article What are the 11 best materials for projector screen outdoor and indoor use?
Will a projector work on a colored wall?
Yes, it will work. You can project on the colored wall. Because in the projector. There is a special setting for the different wall colors. On the projector. Call wall shot.
If this setting is available on your projector then you can easily do the projection on a colored wall. To enable this setting. The button will be available on your projector remote. Named wall shot button.
Or You can go to the projector control panel or menu. When you enable this setting. You will see the wall shot status on the screen. That means you have successfully enable the wall shot setting. In your projector.
Basically, this setting does the projection adjustment. According to the color of the projection surface. When you turn off the projector. The wall shot setting will be safe. For the next time projection. If you are doing the next projection on the same wall.
Conclusion: Projector screen vs Wall.
So, if you are waiting for my end statement. I will say yes you can do the projection on the wall. But the wall should be well treated with the screen paint.
Other than this wall should be at least smooth and texture-free. With the white color. If you have these things. Then you can do the projection on the white wall.
But still, the projector screen is best. If you are doing the projection on the manufactured projector screen. You will get better image qulaity than the wall screen. But it should be a good quality projector screen. Not the cheap one.
And the projector screen is the only piece of equipment. In any home theater. If you once invested in a good projector screen. It will give you lifelong company.
So there is everything explained in this article in detail. You should know about the projector screen. Choose the projection surface wisely.
And when you are comparing the projector screen vs wall. In your head. Put in front of you what you expect from your screen. And you will get the answer. Becasue every aspcet is explained in the article.
See you next time…
- Can I project images on a colored wall or blackboard instead of a white screen?
- Do You Need a Projector Screen In Your Home Theater?
- Is a projector screen better than a wall?
- Projecting onto wall vs Projecting onto Screen Comparison
- Do it yourself, Projection Screen Painting in 3 Minutes
- Projector projecting onto wall (no Screen)
- Projection on Wall Vs Screen – What’s the Difference?