Page Contents Shortcut
- 1 Why you should clean your projector lens?
- 2 Do’s and Don’ts: How to clean a projector lens?
- 3 How to clean the projector lens from the outside?
- 4 How to clean the inside of a projector lens?
- 5 How to clean a projector scratch on the lens?
- 6 When should you clean your projector lens?
- 7 How can you prevent your lens?
- 8 Can I clean my projector lens with alcohol?
- 9 How do you Defog a projector lens?
- 10 Conclusion.
- 11 Reference.
After long use of the projector. Some dirt particles collect over the projector lens. And they make the image dull. Which does not look good on the projector screen.
In this article. Today I will teach you the easiest way to clean the lens. For that, you will just need some essential appropriate equipment. Because you can’t clean the projector lens like glasses. Just with your t-shirt.
We also cover things you do’s and don’ts. While cleaning the projector screen. So you don’t make a mistake and destroy your projector lens.
I will also take care of scratches on the lens. Because it’s also sensitive stuff. I will explain how you can deal with the small scratches. And also how you can prevent your projector lens from dust.
An important thing. When you are going to clean the projector lens. Before you try these steps. Which I am going to teach you. You should contact your projector company. And talk with them about the cleaning lens and removing scratches.
Because there are some steps I am going to teach you. That might not come under warranty according to your projector company.
So, before we get into how you can clean the projector lens. Let me tell you. Why you should clean the projector lens.
Why you should clean your projector lens?
When we give the video signal to the projector. And it’s converted into light. Then it travels a lot. Through the LCD panels, DLP chip, and color wheel. And it finally came out from the projector lens. On the projector, the projector lens is the last destination of the light.
From where light ejects. Here last time your projected image. Get sharpened and magnified. So, it’s important to clean the projector. Once in one or two months (this time can be improved, when you know how to prevent projector lenses from dirt). You should clean the Projector lens. To avoid any kind of dull image. On the screen because of dust.
Do’s and Don’ts: How to clean a projector lens?
Let’s know. What things you should do while cleaning the projector. And should not.
- Don’t use the acidic cleaner, solvent, and alcohol as cleaning liquid. And Abrasive Pad too. Because they will tear down the lens coating.
- Don’t use your mouth. Because when you eat something. Some food particles are left in your mouth. And then they start dissolving in your mouth. Which makes your mouth air acidic.
- No need to use dirty equipment to clean the projector lens. Because it will make your lens dirtier. Instead of cleaning the projector lens.
- Never use the cleaner that contains flammable gas.
- Don’t try to touch the projector lens. With the bare hands.
- Do not use window glass cleaner.
- If it’s not necessary to clean the projector lens, don’t clean the projector lens.
- Use the appropriate equipment to clean the projector screen.
- Don’t directly apply any kind of projector lens cleaning solution on the lens.
- Don’t press too hard on the lens. Do it gently.
- Before you start cleaning the projector lens. I will suggest you turn off your projector. And let it rest for an hour. Until its temperature comes back to normal. If you are going to clean the projector lens. Just after using a projector.
- When applying the projector lens cleaning on the lens. Using the q-tip and microfiber cloth. I will suggest you do it in a circular motion.
- If you are using compressed air to clean the projector lens dust. Then I will suggest you keep compressed air seven inches away from the projector lens. Because it can hurt your projector lens.
How to clean the projector lens from the outside?
Here, I am going to teach. The two ways to clean the projector lens with the q-tip and purified water or distilled water. And with the projector lens cleaning solution and the soft cloth. Let’s check them out.
Before cleaning the projector lens with the purified water. Or distilled water and cleaning solution. Take the soft lens cleaning brush. And clean the dust. Or use the giottos Rocket Air Blaster. To remove the dust from the projector lens.
You can also follow this step to clean the projector lens if your lens has some dust particles on it. If your projector lens is dirty then follow these steps.
Let’s go back to the screen cleaning process with the cleaning solution.
- With the purified water or distilled water.
- Take the q-tip and dip it into the distilled water. No tap water. (Make sure you are using the q-tip that does not fall fiber.)
- Then to extract the excess water. Use a clean cloth. Rollover your q-tip on the clean cloth.
- Now in the circular motion move your hand over the projector lens. Gently do this all over the lens. Start from the center. And end with the edges of the projector lens.
- If there is excess left on the projector lens. No need to worry. Take another q-tip and mover over the projector lens. It will absorb the excess water. And you are done.
Moving to the second way.
- First make dust particale free your projector lens.
- Take the lint-free microfiber cloth.
- Don’t use the excess lens cleaning solution. Take a little solution on the cloth.
- And rub over the projector lens. Gently all over the projector lens.
- If some extra solution is left over the projector lens. Then use another dry microfiber cloth. And rub over the projector lens. It will absorb the extra solution. And you are done.
So, all these are the external efforts you can do to clean the projector screen. From the outside.
How to clean the inside of a projector lens?
If you are thinking I will tell you how you can disassemble the projector lens. And how to clean the projector lens from inside. Then you are thinking wrong.
Because the projector lens is sealed with a lot of glass. And disassembling the lens glass will be stupidity. Because you are not fixing the problem. And you are hurting the projector lens.
The only way you can clean the projector lens from the inside. You have to take the projector lens outside from its compartment.
Let’s see how you can take out the projector lens from its compartment/place step by step:-
- First, turn off the projector.
- And lose those screws. Which holds the projector’s upper part.
- Now you have opened the projector uppaer cover. So why do you not also clean the projector from inside? Other than the projector lens. So before we start, disassemble the lens from it’s place and clean it.
- Take the compressed air. And use it all around the inside of the projector. Where dust is collected.
- Now let’s back to our projector lens. Lose those screws which hold the projector lens. For that, I will suggest you look at your projector mechanical blueprint or manual. So you can know how properly you can take out the projector lens. From its place. And clean it.
- To clean you can use the giottos Rocket Air Blaster for the dust around the projector lens or use the cloth or soft brush. And to clean the rear part of the projector lens. Use the microfiber cloth and lens cleaning solution.
How to clean a projector scratch on the lens?
If you have a scratch on the projector lens. Then there are some tips I have you can follow. If you only have some scratches over the projector lens. If it’s something deep then these things won’t work.
There are two ways you can get rid of the projector lens from scratch:-
For the first way. You will need the Lens repairing tool-Dremel, Polishing Set, and Polishing compound. Let’s see the process.
- Clean the lens first with a soft brush or microfiber cloth. To remove the dust.
- Then add little water to the polishing compound. Try not to add much water. Little water will work. In that amount, which polishing compound has its powder texture.
- Now apply the compound over the projector lens on the scratched place.
- And then use the Dremel. But before that put the soft polishing wheel. From the Polishing set.
- Now plug your Dremel with the power port. Then use the Dremel at a low speed. And gently move the Dremel over the scratch.
- After some minutes of work. You will see the scratch is vanishing. Use it at a low speed, until you completely deal with the scratch.
Moving to the second way. For that, you will need the Microfiber cloth, q-tip/cotton swabs, and Meguiar’s Compound.
- First, clean the projector lens, remove the dust. For that use the microfiber cloth.
- Then take the q-tip. And take some meguiar’s compound on the q-tip.
- And gently spread over the scratch of the lens.
- Now we use a microfiber cloth. Take microfiber cloth. And gently rub over the place. Where you have spread the meguiar’s compound over the projector lens.
Manually this work will take half an hour. Depend on your lens scratch.
When should you clean your projector lens?
You don’t need to always clean the projector lens. Because it can hurt the projector lens coating. And if that lens coating loses over the projector lens. Then it can be permanent.
Without any cure. And it will not be solved with the normal job. If your projector lens or coating hurts.
So, if on the lens it’s only the dust particle. To clean this doesn’t use the lean cleaning solution. Use the soft brush, microfiber cloth, or giottos Rocket Air Blaster.
If smoothing is sticky, oily, and fingerprint smudge. Over the projector lens. Then use the lens cleaning solution and microfiber cloth.
And if there is something like scratch. Then you have to use the Lens repairing tool-Dremel, Polishing Set. And Polishing compound. Or Microfiber cloth, q-tip/cotton swabs, and Meguiar’s Compound.
So, there are three situations. When you should clean the projector lens. And don’t do anything. It will be good for your projector lens.
How can you prevent your lens?
Don’t use the projector in a dusty and smoky environment. Because it will hurt your projector lens. As well as the projector internal part. Dust will accumulate all over the projector inside and outside.
And when you are not using the projector. Cover the projector lens with the lens cap. Or if your projector doesn’t have the lens cap. You can buy the camera lens cap. They are available in various sizes. One of them will fit on your projector lens. And it will cover your projector lens.
Don’t touch my projector lens with the naked hand. Because of your hand, there’s sweat and oil. Which can leave the fingerprint mark over your projector lens.
When you’re cleaning the projector lens. Make sure you are not using the solution are not allowed to use. And don’t use your t-shirt, to rub over the projector lens.
Can I clean my projector lens with alcohol?
Yes and No. You can’t use only alcohol to clean the projector lens. It will peel off the projector’s lean special coating. If you want to use the alcohol to clean the projector lens. Then you can use isopropyl alcohol. For more instructions check the below video.
How do you Defog a projector lens?
A simple piece of cake. Take the microfiber cloth. And gently rub over the fog. No need to use any kind of projector lens cleaning solution. That’s how you can clean the fog from the lens.
Cleaning the projector lens. It is a very sensitive job. If you do it properly with the instruction. You are going to hurt the projector lens.
And it could be heavy for your pocket. If it’s hurt you have to replace the projector or the projector lens. Both the things are pricey.
In this article, I have tried to cover things about the How to clean lenses inside and outside. If you don’t have important equipment to clean the projector lens. Then buy it.
Don’t use the household. Glass cleaner liquid to clean the projector lens. Invest in important equipment. It will save you from the big investment in the new projector and new lens. If your projector lens hurts during cleaning the projector lens.
See you next time…
- Optoma Hd39darbee Lens Cleaning
- Projector Lens Cleaning
- Eventually every projector lens gets dirty or dusty.
- Insta360 lens scratch repair | How to fix it!
- GoPro HERO Camera Lens Repair – Remove Scratches 🛠️
- How to clean the lens of your cinema projector
- The Angry Photographer: The BEST & FASTEST WAY to clean your lens or filter streak free!
- How to Properly Clean a Projector Lens – Step by Step
- How to Clean a Projector Lens – Lifewire