How to calibrate a projector? To get the best possible image.
Recently you have spent a huge amount of money on your home cinema projector. And the image quality you get on the projector is not that much satisfy you.
As expected from the projector. Then today in this article. I will teach you how to calibrate a projector.
By calibrating your projector. You will get better color production with your projector.
So let’s start.
The basics of projector calibration.
This is the first thing you can do with your projector. If you are thinking of doing the projector calibration. Play with your projector setting.
There are five components of any projector video projection. Brightness, Contrast or Picture, Sharpness, Tint, and Color.
Go to your projector menu setting and tweak. These projector settings. On the basic level, you get good image projection.
And there is no way to say some exact no of brightness or contrast. You should increase or decrease your projector.
Because every person has a different taste in the image of the projection. In their home theatre. For some reference, you can check out the video below. Which can help you in the beginning.
If you need something. Which seriously improves your image quality. You will need some equipment. For the projector calibration. Move ahead.
What tools do I need for the calibration?
These are some essential pieces of equipment you will need to calibrate your projector.
- A meter for measurement of the light and the color level and other things. While calibrating the projector. There are lots of color meters available in the market. But there are some recommendations. Which you can use to calibrate the projector. SpyderX Pro or Xrite i1 Display pro (Amazon Link).
- A tripod (Amazon Link) to hold the sensor device in front of the projector screen. During the calibration of the projector. So, the sensor device can be at the right distance from the projector. And also at the right height with the projector screen.
- A good windows laptop in which you can plug your projector and the sensor device. And also install the calibration software. For the calibration.
- Also, you will need the projector calibration software.
- How you will test the projector image quality? If you don’t have a good-quality video for the output. So make sure you have some good quality video content like blu-ray movie CDs.
How do I Calibrate a projector?
Here we are going to learn. How you can calibrate your projector step by step. With the help of SpyderX Pro or Xrite i1 Display Pro.
- Place your color meter or sensor device right in front of the projector. Between the projector screen. And one foot away from the projector. And at the mid of the projector screen. Make sure when you are using the sensor device. Your room should be blackout completely.
- Now connect your colorimeter or sensor device. With the Laptop.
- It’s time to connect your projector to the laptop.
- Make sure your projector has calibration software already installed. There are lots of projector calibration-free and paid calibration software available. Like their free available, HCFR, and LightSpace DPS. Which is free and famous among projector enthusiasts. If you want to learn more about calibration software. And want to learn the difference between free and paid projector software calibration. You can read this article.
- Now you have to do some presets on your projector calibration software. Like you have to choose the gamma level, screen size, etc. Other things depend on the software you choose.
- Now start the calibration process for your projector. It will take some time. When it’s over save this calibration profile. And your calibration process is done for your projector.
Some bottom line. When you are doing the calibration. When you want to do the calibration for your projector. In the SDR or HDR format.
You have to do the calibration process separately. For both video formats. If you want some practical reference for these steps. You can check out the video below.
And if you want to learn a different way to calibrate your projector. You can read the comprehensive article below.
- AVS HD 709 – Blu-ray & MP4 Calibration
- CHROMAPURE GRAYSCALE & COLOR CALIBRATION FOR DUMMIES
- HCFR – Open source projector and display calibration software
- How to Calibrate your JVC Projector with Autocal & SpyderX Pro
Q&A on how to calibrate the projector.
Should I calibrate the projector?
Yes, you should calibrate your projector. If you are not satisfied with the projector color production. With the projector lamp getting old.
And the projector lamp’s ability to project good image quality diminishes. So, if you have the opportunity to calibrate your projector once a month.
It will be better for your projector. To project better image quality.
Is it worth calibrating a projector?
Yes, it’s worth it. And also calibrating the projector. You will get peace of mind. That you are getting the image quality.
That filmmaker wants to show you on the screen.
How much does projector calibration cost?
Most of the big brand’s projectors. Don’t need any kind of calibration. Those projectors are awesome out of the box.
They already have some presets like cinema, natural and bright modes. For the different conditions and the mood.
You can choose between them. And you will get the best image. But if you want to go one step further. And want to calibrate your projector. For the best possible image quality from the projector.
And want to spend on professional calibrating. Then the amount of money can be from hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars.
It depends upon. The number of modes you want to calibrate.
How do I get the best picture on my projector?
There are various settings and features. You will get in the projector to get the best image quality. You can play with the contrast and image setting.
Adjust the projector focus. Don’t use keystone correction too much. Or you can calibrate your projector. As we have talked in this projector.
When should I calibrate my projector?
Try to do the calibration process in the room with no ambient light. Or dark room.
The calibration process makes your image color better. Especially when comparing the calibrated image and the normal projected image. The projector has a different skin tone than the movie character.
It will look closer to real life. Calibrating the projector at a certain time. Give you a good color image. And your image color will not fade with time.
But for the calibration process, you will need some essentials. Like the calibration tool or colorimeter. And the free or paid software to set the same calibration preset. What do you expect from your image?
See you next time…
Feature image by The Verge.